The Analysis of The Identity
By
Julio Noboa Polanco
The Identity poem by Julio
Noboa Polanco represents a boy who just wants to be different; he just wants to
be free. He doesn’t care about anyone
else. Each line represents how he just
wants to be on his own and not clustered in with all the flowers (people). “Let them be as flowers”, is the first line
of this poem. Julio is simply saying let
them be “harnessed to a pot of dirt”, let these flowers always be “watered,
fed, guarded, and admired. He doesn’t
care. “I’d rather be a tall, ugly weed,
clinging on cliffs, like an eagle wing-wavering above high, jagged rocks.” That
quote from the next paragraph is how Julio expresses his desire for isolation
even further. He wants to be free and
away from this horrible lifestyle.
There are two lines that show
his metaphorical way of saying “I want out”. “To have broken through the
surface of stone, to live, to feel exposed to the madness of the vast, eternal
sky.” This line expresses how he doesn’t
want to take the path that everyone else takes. “To be swayed by the breezes of
an ancient sea.” This line illustrates how he is basically being forced by
society to be in this flowerpot.
One song that can relate to
this poem is “I want to break free”, by Queen. There is a quote in the song
that can relate to this poem which is, “You're so self satisfied, I don't need you I've got to
break free God knows, God knows I want to break free.” This is basically Julio
speaking as the narrator in the song, as he would be referring “you” and “you’re”
to the people. It was extremely clear in
the poem that Julio wanted to be free from his lifestyle. Another strong example includes, “I’d rather
be unseen, and if then shunned by everyone, than to be a pleasant-smelling
flower, growing in clusters in the fertile valley, where they’re praised,
handled, and plucked by greedy, human hands.”
I can definitely see a theme of
isolation within the relationship between this song and poem. It is more of a positive isolation because he
is kind of leaning towards a transcendentalist kind of attitude. It is almost like he wants to be one with
nature rather than be brainwashed by technology and doing what everyone else is
doing, just like the people in the flowerpot.
In the end, Julio just
wants to break free, as said in the song by Queen. When it comes down to it he would rather be a
tall, ugly weed. His own path is his only path because the other “flowers” don’t mean anything to him.
No comments:
Post a Comment